Faculty and Staff
- Ph.D., Texas Woman's University, Health Studies
- M.A., Michigan State University, Health and Physical Education
- B.S., Texas A&M University, Health and Physical Education
(For full listing see attached CV above)
International/National - Peer Reviewed
- Bayyari, W., Henry, L.J., & Jones, C. (2013), Dieting among female college students at Palestinian universities. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal.
- Shadden, B.B., Di Brezzo, R., Fort, I., Henry, J., & Gray, M. (2012). How Certified Nursing Assistants in different LTC facilities frame their work as meaningful. The Gerontologist, 51(S1), 156Hammig, B., & Henry, L.J. (2011). Pediatric injuries associated with fireplaces, United States, 2002-2007. Pediatric Emergency Care, 27(2), 106-109.
- Henry, L.J., & Ginn, G.O. (2010). Violence in the workplace. Chapter in Leadership and Nursing Care Management (4th ed.), Diane Huber, Ed. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders. (Significant revision to case studies, addition of learning activities, and update of literature)
- Henry, L.J., & Ginn, G.O. (2005). Violence in the workplace. Chapter in Leadership and Nursing Care Management (3rd ed.), Diane Huber, Ed. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders.
International Peer Reviewed Presentations
- Jones, C., Hammig, B.J, & Henry, L.J. (2010). Weightlifting Injuries in Women 2002-2007. Safety 2010 World Conference, London, England, UK [20%]
- Jones, C,, Hammig, B., & Henry, L.J. (2010). Injuries Associated with Video Gaming in the US, 2002-2007. Safety 2010 World Conference, London, England, UK [20%]
National Peer Reviewed Presentations
- Henry, L.J.,& Avants, R. (2012). Factors of Age and Body Exposure Anxiety during Intimacy. Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, Tampa, FL.
- Henry, L.J., & Jozkowski, K. (2012). Body Dissatisfaction, Aging, and Sexuality: Charting Paths through the Perfect Storm. Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, Tampa, FL.
Regional/State/Local - Peer-Reviewed Presentations
- Henry, L.J., & Personius, J. (2008). "Teen Pregnancy: Rallying the Community for Prevention.” University Forum, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV
- Henry, L.J., & Regin, C. (2005). “Firefighters Flexibility Challenge: A web-based Program.” Nevada SOPHE, Las Vegas, NV
University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Associate Professor, 1998-2008
Texas Woman's University, Center for Research on Women's Health, Interim Associate Director, Assistant Research Professor, 1997-1998
Texas Woman's University, Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant, 1995-1997
Summer Summits Inc., Executive Director, 1993-1996
North Lake College, Natatorium Director, Physical Fitness Technology Coordinator, 1983-1992
Bexar County Women's Shelter, Community Relations Director, 1982-1983
Southwest Texas State University, Faculty, Swimming and Diving Coach, 1979-1982
Michigan State University, Assistant Swimming Coach, Graduate Teaching Assistant, 1977-1979
- Selected as faculty for University Studies Abroad Consortium summer program, Chengdu, China, 2008
- UNLV Dept. of Health Promotion 2006 Faculty Excellence in Service Award
- UNLV Dept. of Health Promotion 2003 Faculty Excellence in Service Award
- Selected as faculty for University Studies Abroad Consortium fall program, Alicante, Spain, 2004
- Selected as visiting faculty for University Studies Abroad Consortium summer program, Costa Rica, 2003
- Southern Nevada Wellness 2003 Council Continuous Contributions Award
- Southern Nevada Wellness Council 2002 "Friends of the Council" Award
- UNLV Dept. of Health Promotion 2002 Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award
- UNLV Dept. of Health Promotion 2002 Faculty Excellence in Scholarship Award
- UNLV Dept. of Health Promotion 2002 Faculty Excellence in Service Award
- UNLV Dept. of Health Promotion 2001 Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award
- UNLV Dept. of Health Promotion 2001 Faculty Excellence in Scholarship Award
- UNLV Dept. of Health Promotion 2001 Faculty Excellence in Service Award
- UNLV College of Education 2001 Outstanding New Faculty Award nominee
- UNLV Dept. of Health and Physical Education 2000 Faculty Excellence in Service Award
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Kappa Delta Pi
- Eta Sigma Gamma
- UNLV International Studies Programs Faculty Development Award, 1999
- Texas Woman's University Outstanding Doctoral Graduate Student
- Kitty McGee Outstanding Graduate Scholar Award
- Phi Kappa Phi Scholastic Achievement Award
- TWU Health Studies Outstanding Doctoral Student
- TWU Department of Health Studies Scholarship
- Who’s Who in Colleges and Universities
- Who’s Who in American Women
- Who’s Who in Scuba Diving
- National Association of Underwater Instructors Leadership Award
- All-American, Swimming, Texas A&M University
- All-Region, Volleyball, Texas A&M University
- Summa Cum Laude, Texas A&M; 3.99 GPA, Michigan State; 4.0 GPA Texas Woman’s University
National Institutes of Health . Gray, M., Henry, J., Ferguson, A., Fort, I.L., Di Brezzo, R., & Shadden, B.S. (2012). Improving functional fitness through high-velocity exercises in a faith-based organization. Translational Research to Help Older Adults Maintain their Health and Independence in the Community (R21). $340,697. (Scored, but Not Funded)
Hammig, B., & Henry, L.J. (2012). Improving the Health of People With Disabilities through State Based Public health Programs. Subcontract with Arkansas Disability and Health Program Partners for Inclusive Communities to evaluate programs designed to improve inclusion of people with disabilities into Public Health programs. $35,000. (Funded)
Personius, J., & Henry, L.J. (2006-2007). Access to Reproductive Health Services for Low-SES Pregnant/Parenting Teens in Clark County: A Comprehensive Needs Assessment. Assessment of level of prenatal care and utilization of community health services by pregnant teens in Clark County; development of a comprehensive guide to prenatal services and parenting resources. $29,000, Grant Funded.
Thompson-Robinson, M., Bungum, T., & Henry, L.J. (2005-2006). “Assessment of Health Status of Women in Clark County.” The goal of this project is to assess the health status of women residing in Clark County in order to provide data and information that will be used to develop additional grants for funding. $15,500, Grand Funded.
Regin, C., Henry, L.J. (2005).”A Pilot Study to Assess the Impact of Enrollment in a Web-based Educational/Informational Program During a Legislative Session.” Development and pilot testing of an interactive, web-based tracking system of daily wellness-promoting activities of participants. The tracking system continues to undergo revision and development as it is informed through subsequent research project;research to be repeated in 2007 Session. $5,000, Grant Funded.
Henry, L.J., Michael, S., Clark, J. & Spano, C. (2002). Integrative Health Collaborative. A UNLV Planning Initiative Award to promote life management skills in college students through instruction in yoga, meditation, guided imagery, and healing touch. $29,900, Grant Funded
Regin, C., & Henry, L.J. (2002-2004). Fitness & Wellness Initiative, North Las Vegas Firefighters/FEMA. A grant to develop and implement a fitness/wellness program specific to the needs of firefighters, and to train personal peer trainers within the fire service. $100,002, Grant Funded.
Henry, L.J., & Padilla, J. (2002-2006). "Community Partnership for Active Seniors: Active for Life." A Robert Woods Johnson Foundation grant to promote activity in sedentary seniors; formation of a community collaborative to deliver the grant program. $1.2 million, Grant Finalist, not funded.
Henry, L.J. (2000). "Southern Nevada Wellness Initiative." A UNLV Planning Initiative Award to design and implement, in collaboration with the Southern Nevada Wellness Council, a worksite health workshop series, a worksite health promotion award, and a community health promotion award recognition process. $23,620, Grant Funded
Nevada Service Learning Partnership, (2000). Community, Higher Education, School Partnership (CHESP). Member of a writing team on a national program grant. PI, Deborah Loesch-Griffin, Community Chest, Carson City, NV. Corporation for National Service, $1,000,000, Grant funded. (Approx. $50,000 to be directed to Southern Nevada for Service Learning programs and partnerships.)
Henry, L.J. (2000). Worksite Health Promotion in Southern Nevada, School to Careers Educator Externship, $750, Grant funded.
Henry, L.J. (2000). Leadership for the New Millennium: A Faculty/Student Interaction Approach. FIPSE, U.S. Dept. of Education, $226,900, not funded.
"L.E.A.P. (Leadership through Experiential Activities Program)." A SITE grant proposal to train students to assume leadership positions in offering experiential programs on the UNLV campus; Henry, L.J., & Taylor, M., Contribution=50%; 2000/2001; $4,988
Spano, C. , et.al. (2000). "Combating Violent Crimes Against Women on Campus." Member of a writing team on a federal grant. PI, Connie Spano, UNLV Jean Nidecht Women's Center. US Dept. of Justice, $200,000, not funded.
Henry, L. J., (1999). "Play with a Purpose, Games with a Cause! Experiential Challenge Fest & Leadership Training", UNLV Alumni Association Student-Centered Projects Application. $5,000.00, not funded.
Henry, L.J. (1999). "Spanish Language Study in Costa Rica." An International Programs Faculty Development grant. $2,190, Grant funded.
Henry, L.J., & Regin, C. (1999). "Health Promotion Consortium Project." A UNLV Planning Initiative Award Proposal. $4,650, Grant funded.
Henry, L.J. (1999). "HP3: The Health Promotion Priorities Project." UNLV SITE Grant. $3,460, Grant funded.
Henry, L.J., & Govett, A. (1999). "Project I.M.P.A.C.T.: Research Toward Improving Multidisciplinary Performance And Collaborative Teamwork." UNLV New Investigator Award. $9,817, Grant funded.
Henry, L.J., (1999). "Schools to Careers Curriculum Development Project: Managed health care." UNLV Schools to Careers Program. $3,100, Grant funded.
Henry, L.J., (1999). "Schools to Careers Curriculum Development Project: Collaborative Learning." UNLV Schools to Careers Program. $2,400, Grant funded.
Henry, L.J., (1999). "Schools to Careers Educator Externship: The Health Educator in Managed Care." UNLV Schools to Careers Program. $2,000, Grant funded.
Goode, S., Meeuwsen, H., Ward, S., & Henry, J. (1998) "Project Leadership: Preparing Women Leaders for the 21st Century." $20,000. Grant funded.
"Effect of Exercise and Calcium on the Growing Bone." (1998). As part of a grant development team for TWU Center for Research on Women's Health; NIH R01 grant titled, I was responsible for the research and writing of the significance and rationale section of the grant. 4-year grant, $495,342. Grant funded.
Henry, L.J. (1995). “Strengthening collaboration and social-support skills in at-risk youth; Ropes course renovation” grant for Summer Summits, Inc., non-profit. The Jones Foundation, Mansfield, TX: ($31,600) Grant funded.
Starting Over, Inc. (1995). “Ropes course programming to strengthen self-esteem in recovering women” Portion of a grant written on behalf of Summer Summits, Inc. in collaboration with Starting Over, Inc.,& nonprofit organizations. Grant funded.
Henry, L.J. (1994). “Ropes course renewal and renovation.” Grant for Summer Summits, Inc., non-profit. ($14,800) Grant not funded.
Henry, L.J. (1994). “Promoting the future success of our youth: Use of experiential programs to enhance self-esteem, collaboration, cooperation, trust, respect for others, and interdependence.” Grant for Summer Summits, Inc., non-profit. Tides Foundation, San Francisco, CA: $10,000, Grant not funded.