Faculty and Staff
Janet Forbess is an instructor in the Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation. Prior to coming to the University of Arkansas in 1978, Mrs. Forbess taught physical education at Arnold Junior High School in Columbus, Ga. She also taught gymnastics in a private gym in Columbus.
- Physical Education Pedagogy
- M.A.P.E., University of Florida, 1977
- B.S.E.D., Georgia Southern College, 1973
- Forbess, J. and Catron, P. (2009) Motivating Students. Presentation at University of Arkansas Teaching and Faculty Support Center Teaching Retreat, Petit Jean, Arkansas.
- Forbess, J. and Rennie, C. (2012) Holding Students Accountable in Distance Education.Presentation at University of Arkansas Teaching and Faculty Support Center Teaching Retreat, Petit Jean, Arkansas
Sullivan, A., Smith-Nix, A., Mayes, S., and Forbess, J. (2011) Classes Large or Small, Active Learning for All! Presentation at Arkansas AHPERD Convention, Little Rock, AR
Janet Forbess is primarily interested in training future physical educators to improve the quality of public school physical education in Arkansas and in the United States. She provides teaching experiences for students in most of her courses at the elementary and middle school levels. Staying on the “cutting edge” is important to Mrs. Forbess, and she regularly attends local, state, regional, and national conferences and workshops. She has also attended the University of Arkansas Teaching and Faculty Support Summer Retreat a number of times.
She was the recipient of the HKRD Outstanding Teaching Award for 1992-93, 2004-05, 2006-07 and 2008-09, and she won the College of Education and Health Professions Outstanding Teaching Award in 2006-07. In 2008, she was inducted into the Arkansas Teaching Academy.